Monday, March 29, 2010

Chicken Quesadillas and Corn Relish

On days when my husband isn't home and I'm cooking for just the kids and myself, I like to keep it simpler.  Less prep, less mess...that way, when the complaints from my picky-eating kids come rolling in I'm less frustrated being the only one enjoying dinner -- because it took less work to prepare.

Tonight being one of those nights it's chicken quesadillas with corn relish and a pre-made bagged green salad on the side.

The quesadillas were great, and proved as easy as I hoped they would be.  I couldn't believe that I didn't even miss the cheese! The corn relish was a cinch and super fresh tasting.  Word to the wise.  Don't cook a 10 inch flour tortilla filled with goodness in a 10 inch skillet.  You run into issues.  Use a bigger one.

Recipe:

Corn Relish
1 cup of frozen corn - thawed
1/2 green bell pepper diced
1 medium tomato seeded and dice
2 tsp of balsalmic vinegar (do yourself a favor and buy the good stuff, you will use it in everything)
dash of salt

Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and let rest while you make the quesadillas.

Quesadillas
6 10" flour tortillas
1/3 cup sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
3/4 cup chunky salsa
1 1/2 cup diced cooked chicken

Dice the chicken from frozen (about 2 medium breasts.) Cook until heated through, only a few minutes.  Combine chicken and other ingredients in a medium bowl and divide between 3 tortillas.  Top with the remaining tortillas and heat in a very large skillet for 2-3 minutes per side.   Serve with corn relish.

No comments:

Post a Comment