Thursday, February 18, 2010

Citrus Tilapia and Herb Roasted White Potatoes with Lemon Pepper Broccoli Spears

Dinner tonight is not rocket science.  Due to the 1st grade Spring Concert happening at 6:45 (and making it home from work just shy of 5) its a hurried affair, and after last nights Gyro fiasco I decided that something a little more familiar would do nicely.  So Citrus Tilapia and Roasted Potatoes it is.  I like to incorporate fish into our dining when at all possible, but to be honest, we are not huge fish fans (except for sushi, which seems a little odd if you think about it) at our house, so tilapia is perfect.  Its a super light textured white fish with a great mild flavor (which means my kids will eat it) and I can add orange juice (which means my kids will eat it!.) It cooks up quickly and I get to use my new Calphalon Pans so its a winner all the way. The roasted potatoes are really simple.  No recipe there.  I just chopped up some baby white potatoes into bite size pieces, added a couple tablespoons of good olive oil, which-- if you are even mildly serious about cooking you will spend a few extra bucks on, quality really makes a difference in olive oil (and balsamic vinegar as well, but that's for a different post) -- and shook them up in a zippy bag with a packet of Italian herb and cheese mix.  Roast for 30 minutes at 400 degrees on a pammed (come on, if something can be googled it can be pammed) baking sheet and viola!

The recipe for the fish is pretty simple, using mostly stuff you have on hand.  Lemon juice from a bottle would probably be fine, but I used a fresh lemon and sliced it into wedges after I squeezed it.  It was really pretty as garnish for the fish (and my kids love to eat lemon rind and all -- I figure, what the heck, its a fruit!)

OVERALL IMPRESSION: Easy and great!  The kids loved it, the hubby loved it, it was easy to make, relatively inexpensive, and quick!   No pizza tonight!

RECIPE:
 
Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 pound tilapia fillets
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice or high-quality store-bought orange juice
  • 1 lemon, zested and juiced *I don't have a zester. I use the fine part of my cheese grater and it works just as well, just make sure you don't get into the white bitter part!*
  • 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
Preparation: 
1. On a plate, combine the flour and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Lightly dredge the tilapia in the flour. *For the non cooks out there, this just means to coat the fish very lightly in flour*
2. In a large skillet over medium heat, add the oil and butter. *If you are using cookware that is not non-stick like I do, espescially stainless, preheat the pan at medium heat for a few minutes before you add oil.  It will help keep the food from sticking* When the butter has melted, add the fish and cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until golden and just cooked through. Remove the fish and set aside.
3. Add the orange juice, 2 tablespoons of the lemon juice, and the ginger to the skillet. Increase the heat and simmer for 1 to 2 minutes, or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Taste and add lemon zest or more lemon juice if necessary. Return the fish to the skillet, coat with sauce, and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, or until heated through.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, so as the "Hubby" I get to put my two cents in too right? The fish was great. No kidding, it was way better than the first time she "cooked" fish for me (I.E. ran to the store, had them cook the fish and then dirty pans to look like she cooked it herself). All and all a success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Jamey's story haha... but tilapia really is a wonderful fish... btw I'm vegetarian now... you should do a post of two on vegetarian food options :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete